First UCC, Reading, “Celebrates” Its Final Worship Service
We celebrate an impressive history. We requested land from the sons of William Penn. Worship began in a log cabin built in 1753, a stone church in 1761 and a larger brick church in 1832. Among the historic treasures is the original deed signed by Conrad Weiser, a trustee of the congregation. It served as a hospital for wounded in the Revolutionary War. Members were officers in George Washington’s army. For the next few decades, First UCC started 12 other churches and became known as the Mother of the Reformed Church in Reading and the surrounding area.
We celebrate its ministries. Mission & Outreach has supported local agencies. Meals are served at the local shelter and the church hosts AA and NA meetings. In 1982, a Senior Center began, which provides fellowship, trips and meals to members of the church and the community.
The Music Ministry has always been important. A concert series was provided to the community. The largest organ in Berks County will be expertly played today, and years of choral and handbell choirs will be remembered.
We celebrate its future. The endowment fund will be used to continue mission in downtown Reading. The Senior Center will continue to bring joy and fellowship to its members. Another congregation committed to the mission of downtown Reading will worship in the beautiful sanctuary.
We celebrate the accomplishments of all the generations of members who have gone before. Cherished are the memories of worshiping in the church.