Collenbrook United Church, Drexel Hill: March 10, 2013

305Collenbrook United Church, 5290 Township Line Road in Drexel Hill, 19026 has been a fully merged congregation of the United Church of Christ and the Presbyterian Church (USA) since 1975, when St. Paul’s UCC, Springfield (founded in South Philadelphia as a German Reformed congregation in 1865, which reached over 1,000 members in the early 1900’s), merged with Northminster Presbyterian of Drexel Hill (one of whose predecessors dates to 1809 in the Powelton Village section of West Philadelphia). The Rev. Marty Bupp was our founding pastor.

Located in central Delaware County, Collenbrook’s members come from throughout the county and even Chester Co. While many of our members have been part of Collenbrook or its predecessors for five or six decades, we are beginning to attract young families and now count four infants in  the past year, adding to our two kindergarten-age children. Accordingly, our church school is being revived. Our adult education has involved as many as a dozen attendees on Wednesday nights.

305-2Many of our members are involved in community action and justice issues, from a long-time volunteer teacher in the prison system to the treasurer of Chester Eastside Ministry (a Presbyterian project in the troubled city of Chester) to members who have made numerous work trips to Pascagoula, MS, following Katrina’s damage. Collenbrook is known for its generosity to the local and wider mission of both denominations, as well as its involvement in hands-on mission projects among its Missions of the Month.

Eleven years ago, Collenbrook voted to be an Open and Affirming (UCC) and More Light (Presbyterian) congregation, welcoming all persons into membership and leadership. Visitors are always welcome for our 10:30 am Sunday worship, where our talented choir and organist help to lead in worship. A Korean Presbyterian congregation and a Montessori day school share our facilities, along with three AA groups and a variety of community organizations.

The Rev. Anne Park has been with us as our temporary supply pastor since June of 2013, while a Search Committee was elected  to begin the process of seeking an installed pastor.

Print Friendly