One of the “Churches on the Hill”
Greetings from Christ Church in the west-end of Norristown. We are celebrating our 120th year. We had our beginning in 1891 as a mission Sunday School of a church located in downtown Norristown. In 1896 the church was organized and known as Christ Reformed Church.
We are very proud of our church building built and dedicated in 1931. It is a wonderful structure with stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ and many symbols. We are handicapped accessible with an elevator to our social hall and air conditioning in the sanctuary. Our Moller organ is one of the finest in Norristown. The Rev. Jeffrey G. Johnson was called in July 2011 and has served us faithfully, a dedicated and caring pastor.
In October we celebrated “Homecoming Sunday” in which former members and friends were invited and many attended. Also returning were former pastors: Dr. Robert E. Reiff, Rev. Martha B. Boyer, Rev. Frank McKenzie and our “church son” Rev. Robert H. Naylor. All reminisced on their years with us and their current activities. A highlight of the service was the singing of the anthem in which former choir members in attendance were invited to participate. What a joyous sound to hear so many voices sing to a very large congregation. A delicious meal followed the service with considerable memorabilia on display.
Community outreach is an important part of our mission. The “West-End Pre School” just celebrated 50 years in existence and has been housed in our building for the last twenty. Local agencies are supported by our members with contributions, food and clothing. Participation by our youth is both helpful and rewarding.
The pastor communicates weekly with our members via e-mail and we publish a monthly newsletter “The Courier”. Our website is first-class at www.uccchristchurch.org.