Spring Meeting 2014 Summary
On May 31, we gathered at Zion Blue Mountain in Strausstown for the PSEC Spring Meeting. The theme for our meeting was Together We Are Church. Rev. Wanda D. Craner, Acting Conference Minister, began the meeting with a prayer and visual presentation honoring the vibrant ministries in our local churches.
In an overwhelming vote, Rev. William Paul Worley was elected as the Conference Minister and President of the Pennsylvania Southeast Conference of the United Church of Christ. Rev. Worley will be starting on Monday, August 4.
Rev. Rebecca Stephens and the Connections Task Group presented Vibrant Ministry When Money is Low and People are Scarce. We reflected about the effect that the lack of funds and volunteers has had on our church ministries. We listened as three churches shared their experiences of successful ministries, and in the afternoon, gathered in small groups to discuss how to bring new life to dwindling ministries and strategized ways to implement new ministries.
We said farewell to Michael and Barbara Lenhart and thanked Michael for his faithful service to Mensch Mill. We are grateful for his tireless efforts and great sense of humor that contributed to the great memories so many of our youth and adults will cherish.
During worship, we celebrated communion and sang together accompanied by the organ, piano and guitars, and enjoyed the powerful interpretive dance of the Praise Dancers from Living Water UCC.
We installed Conference Leadership – Executive Committee and Consistory members and General Synod delegates. We honored our Members in Discernment, pastors celebrating ordination anniversaries, and pastors retired since May 2013. We also presented certificates to 58 PSEC churches that fully support Our Church’s Wider Mission by giving to basic support and the four special mission offerings: One Great Hour of Sharing, Strengthen the Church, Christmas Fund and Neighbors in Need. (Click to learn more about the Five for Five Offering.)
Thank you to Zion Blue Mountain UCC for their extravagant welcome and hospitality.
We closed with a brief “Sending Service” where we were challenged to journey on together in and through the Spirit of Christ Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen and Amen.
Documents under consideration at the May 31, 2014 meeting:
- Report-Independent Auditor
- 2013 Summary of Income and Expenses
- Background and Process – Proposed Resolution on Conference Ministerial Staff Positions
- A Resolution Regarding Conference Ministerial Staff Positions (Baal-Brenner)
- Draft Amendment to the Resolution Regarding Conference Ministerial Staff Positions (PSEC Resolution Committee)
- Official Call
- Standing Rules
- Connecting Churches, the Conference, and Wider Church Form
- Child Care Medical Release Form
- Report-Personnel Committee & Conference Minister Search Sub-Committee
- Report-Bethany Children’s Home
- Report-Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society
- Report-Lancaster Theological Seminary
- Report-Lay Ministry in the 21st Century
- Report-PA Council of Churches
- Report-Phoebe Ministries
- Members in Discernment & Annual Pastoral Activity (June 2013-April 2014) (re-posted 5-1-14)
- Fall Meeting Minutes – November 9, 2013 (posted 5-1-14)
- Report-Consistory Secretary (posted 5-1-14)
- Report-PSEC Treasurer (posted 5-1-14)
- Report-Independent Auditor (posted 5-1-14)